Monday, February 15, 2016

Blog Post #2 Scouting the Territory

Since my first post, and with the help of Professor Goeller, I have changed my topic slightly. Originally I had originally thought about writing a paper with two topics. The first topic was how fraternities are negatively portrayed in the news and media. The second topic was how being in a fraternity has benefited and changed my life. The topic idea I am going with at this point will highlight the positives I have gotten out of being a member of a great organization. This is a single topic and will be a much more concise and overall a stronger paper than one that would be discussing two topics and being all over the place. To start my search on this topic I wanted to search some statistics to see if being in Greek organizations translated to academic success and success after college. Turns out.... it does, the very first statistic I found read "85% of the fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity".
After researching articles and books on fraternities, I have learned just how controversial this topic really is. On one hand you can find articles talking about the good fraternities do for the community and for the intellectual and personal growth they provide the individual. On the other hand many articles and books talk about some extreme negatives associated with fraternities such as binge drinking, drug use, and rape which definitely makes this topic controversial. This topic may have many issues but I am going to stick to the positives for the topic of my paper and include  research and statistics that prove Greek life can be extremely positive for the individual. In addition I will also include a personal testimony of myself and my fellow peers who have been positively changed and become intellectually and professionally more successful because of Greek life.
In the two links posted below, they both advocates of Greek life. One includes some statistics on Greek life members succeeding after college. The other one includes statistics as well as other reasons Greek life can benefit individuals.





Links used:

https://www5.njit.edu/greeklife/directory/facts.php

http://www.businessinsider.com/dont-ban-fraternities-2014-1

No comments:

Post a Comment